Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Marley and Me- A review


Since I love dogs so much, I thought I'd start off with a review of this book that I just finished reading- Marley and Me by John Grogan. Its a story that touched my heart and made me smile as the author went about describing his 'wonderful' dog. Now, when i first just heard the title I thought it would be a book about this 'model' dog, straight from 'pet heaven', the perfect pet.. you know. But the book is about just the opposite. It's about Marley.. a notoriously disobedient incorrigible dog who's more than a handful! The story begins even before Marley is born and sets up the scene for us.. A newly married couple looking to learn responsibility. They decide to adopt a puppy, boy were they in for a rough ride! Marley enters their lives and turns things upside down effortlessly. His antics described so vividly, made me smile. Every time he tricked his 'dad', John, I was reminded of my own crazy bundle of fur, Tawny. The book prepares you well for the experience of raising your first dog if you don't already know. The book takes the reader through the life of Marley and his family and his crazy adventures. The author fondly recounts Marley's costly but humorous antics.  whether or not you are a "dog person", there is still a lot to laugh about and enjoy while reading this book. The memories are so personal and heart-felt that it makes you wonder why you don't have a dog or thank god that you don't have one! Personally, my favourite incident in the book is the one of Marley being kicked out of obedience school. Whats more endearing is John's resolve to get his dog the obedience diploma and his determination to train the 'worst dog in the world'.

Marley's unfailing energy is admirable but sends a whirlwind of disaster rippling around him. Yet through it all, the book points out the unconditional love Marley has for his family, and they have for him. Just as his ruinous powers appear endless, his love and loyalty know no bounds. Till the very end, Marley displays nothing but LOVE. 

I closed this book feeling overwhelmed by how much a dog can change people's lives and how much we could learn from them. To love unconditionally was my take-away from this book.

Give it a read. You'll enjoy it. 

4 comments:

  1. Good start. I like the use of words. Diverse and sensible. Format and layout of the blog is likable. You have managed to keep the interest of the reader by keeping the post brief. Good choice of font and size. You have been able to hold the hand of the reader and take him through your experience which is highly commendable. All the best with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you telling me about this book a while ago. Quite frankly I had forgotten about it but now that you posted about it, its in my list of books to pick up..
    And yea, I know this book might have reminded you about how Tawny has brought so much love and affection to you. and yeah I also remember your friend Ashwini's dogs.. can't remember their names, but I remember one of them fed on love :)
    Anyways, on an ending note, great start to the blog you always wanted start.
    Very good color scheme and format that you have selected.

    Kudos again

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey that was really interesting to read. Just goes to show how good a writer you are. You know how much I hate dogs but this review really amazed me for the passion and zeal with which you have displayed the boundaryless love and affection that you have towards dogs. You have changed me a little now I must say(Just a little ok). Would get my hands on the book sometime soon.
    A very insightful and well compiled account.
    Keep it up and going.
    All the very best. Cheers

    ReplyDelete